Seventy-five songs from eligible feature-length motion pictures released in 2012 are in contention for nominations in the Original Song category for the 85th Academy Awards.
Of these 75, 11 are from animated features. Here is the list of songs from animated features:
- “Learn Me Right” and “Touch the Sky” (Brave)
- “Delhi Safari” (Delhi Safari)
- “How Bad Can I Be?” “Let It Grow” and “Thneedville” (Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax)
- “Strange Love” (Frankenweenie)
- “Master of the Seas” (Ice Age: Continental Drift)
- “Love Always Comes as a Surprise” (Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted)
- “Still Dream” (Rise of the Guardians)
- “When Can I See You Again?” (Wreck-It Ralph)
During the nominations process, all voting members of the Music Branch will receive a Reminder List of works submitted in the category and a DVD copy of the song clips. Members will be asked to watch the clips and then vote in the order of their preference for not more than five achievements in the category. The five achievements receiving the highest number of votes will become the nominations for final voting for the award.
To be eligible, a song must consist of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the film. A clearly audible, intelligible, substantive rendition of both lyric and melody must be used in the body of the film or as the first music cue in the end credits.
The 85th Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Thursday, January 10, 2013, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater.